Situated in Cha-Am in the province of Phetchaburi (City of Diamonds), Mrigadayavan Palace (aka Love and Hope Palace) was the seaside palace of His Majesty King Vajiravudh or King Rama VI, who ruled Siam from 1910 to 1925.
Around years 1916-1917, King Vajiravudh, who had rheumatoid arthritis, was advised by his personal physician to reside in a place with warm and airy seaside climate. Initially, King Vajiravudh’s seaside residence was at Chao Samran beach. However, the lack of freshwater, inaccessibility, and close proximity to a fishing village led to the decision to choose a secluded beach to construct the Mrigadayavan Palace in 1923.
King Vajiravudh wanted to minimise construction expenses for this seaside palace, which was to be a humble royal residence as compared to other palaces in his reign. He sketched a simple, yet elegant design for the palace, accommodating for the tropical seaside climate. The designs were implemented by Italian architect, Ercole Pietro Manfredi (1883 – 1973), and the palace was constructed from 1923 to late 1924.